The American Version of the Successful Singapore Approach to Math
You will need the components of the homeschool kit for each semester you want to use this program, though one of review we found says you don’t need the Teacher’s Edition. My thought is that if you are new to the program, it would be helpful to get it for at least the first time you use it, especially for the older grades if you need the answers. [Features…]
Math in Focus “Singapore Approach” Homeschool Kits By Grade
- The Homeschool Kits for grades K-5 include one Teacher’s Edition, one Student Book, and one Student Workbook.
Each kit covers one semester.
- For grades 6 to 8, the Homeschool Kits include one Teacher’s Edition and one Student Book.
Each Kit covers one semester.
- We also offer components for additional students and the Assessments.
Math in Focus Comparison and Samples
- Comparison of Saxon Math and Math in Focus, The Singapore Approach
- Math in Focus Sample Pages for Grades K-5
Most of the components that are useful in the homeschool setting are made for use in one semester. The exception is the Assessments. The Assessments or tests come in a book for a complete level or year.
The Math in Focus Teacher’s Edition gives clear directions for each lesson. Some parts of the lesson are scripted in the earlier grades.
In grades K-5th, the TE has a sturdy plastic coil binding and heavy board back cover
- The book lies flat.
- It is easy to see the reduced in size, full-color Student textbook pages.
In grades 6th to 8th, the TE is a hardcover book.
- It is easy to see the Student textbook pages shown in full color in a reduced size.
- Reduced pages from the Student text show the answers in red.
The Kindergarten Student Book is a combination student book and workbook.
- It is a consumable softcover with full-color pages.
- The student will write in this book.
- There are two books for each semester or four parts for the whole year.
There are two Student Books for each grade from first through eighth grade.
- The Student Books are durable hardcover textbooks for the program.
- The illustrations and graphics are in full color.
- The layout of the pages is visually pleasing, and placed well with adequate spacing and not overly busy.
Student Workbooks K-5th
The Student Workbooks are a consumable paperback printed in black and white–no color here. There are visuals to help the student. The problems are well spaced with no crowding and without color to distract the student. I think the very colorful Student Books offer enough pizazz for the student.
Calling them Assessments is a better way of saying tests.
- There is one book for each level of Math in Focus.
- You’ll find answers to the Assessments in the back section of each book.
- It is reproducible for one classroom.
- The Kindergarten level is formatted differently from the other levels with five assessments that require teacher help.
- Each Assessment Book from Levels 1 to 5 has a pretest and chapter test for each chapter in the Student Book.
- There are also two benchmark tests, a mid-term test, and an end-of-year test in each level.
Reviews Of Math in Focus
I’m doing something a little different here by adding links to various reviews that offer different viewpoints. Hope this helps you to decide whether or not to use Math in Focus. After all, you know your children better than all the experts in the world!
Marshall Cavendish® is a registered trademark of Times Publishing Limited.
Math in Focus® is a registered trademark of Times Publishing Limited.
Singapore Math® is a trademark owned by Singapore Math Inc. and Marshall Cavendish Education Pte. Ltd.