Choose the Best Composition Curriculum For Your Children
If you wonder if your child can write, then ask if your child can tell a coherent story or verbalize what was just studied. If so, the writing “problem” may be a simple logistical problem. Not being able to compose and remember it long enough to hand write it, spell it, and punctuate it might be the problem—not the inability to write.
Can Your Student Compose?
- If your student can dictate and tell you a story or the answer to a question from another course, then your student can compose.
- Use a cell phone app or an inexpensive recorder to record the student as he dictates/tells his “writing” to you. Later he can listen to what he recorded and write it on paper.
- A wealth of homeschool composition curriculum exists for teaching and learning the writing process.
- The following composition and creative writing books and courses were chosen because they are favorites among homeschooling families, are homeschool friendly, and they work.
- Perhaps you want to teach several children together with one composition course. Multi-level teaching saves time and allows children of different ages to learn together in the family setting.
Composition and Writing Homeschool Curriculum for Grades K to 12
Multi-Level Composition and Writing Homeschool Curriculum for Grades K to 12
- BJU Press Elementary English Curriculum is a traditional curriculum. It has a workbook, TE, tests, and tests answer key for first through sixth grades. Writing and Grammar is Bob Jones English for grades 7-12.
- Skills for Language Arts is a language arts grammar and communication course.
- Skills for Rhetoric is a writing and speech course for junior high by James P. Stobaugh.
- Skills for Literary Analysis is a writing and literature course for junior high also by Dr. Stobaugh.
- Writing Reference: Writer’s Toolbox from BJUP is a useful reference book for grammar and composition rules.
- Poetry: For a good study of poetry, there is Word Artist. Your student will study and compose poetry.
- Quick Writing Reference: Writing Skills Flippers are for basic and advanced writing skills and techniques.
- Classic Style Manual: Elements of Style (illustrated) is the classic style manual. It is a must for your budding writer who is a good reader and can understand rules of usage, principles of composition, etc.
The Word Artist Poetry Curriculum
The Word Artist is an introduction to writing various kinds of poetry. Your student will create a book of poetry – a keepsake. This helpful creative writing resource also has step-by-step bookbinding instructions.
BJU Press Writer’s Toolbox
Bob Jones Writer’s Toolbox “covers all eight parts of speech and the seven sentence patterns in detail. It explains grammar, usage, and mechanics rules and provides an overview of the writing process and strategies for effective writing. The text discusses research skills such as using the dictionary, using the library, and documenting sources in a research paper. Included are up-to-date examples of MLA documentation style and a sample research paper (for use with grades 9 and 10, second edition only; optional.”
I think it is a helpful creative writing and grammar handbook resource tool for any writer, high school and above! Used with BJU Press Writing and Grammar 9, 10, and 11 second edition only.
Grade 9 and up
Writing Skills 1 Flipper
Writing Skills 1 Flipper
The Writing Skills 1 Flipper covers basic writing techniques, troublesome words (such as: has-have, saw-seen).
- Language Arts Flippers More flippers for punctuation, sentence skills and more.
Grade 7 to college.