Yes, You Really Can Start Homeschooling Today!
Taking Your Children Out of Public or Private School?
It’s not that complicated.
Here’s what you need to know to start homeschooling today:
- Take a deep breath. Tell yourself thousands of parents have taken the first step and survived.
- Pat yourself on the back for making a great decision about your child’s future.
- Don’t feel rushed to run out and buy curriculum today—Take your time. Snap decisions and buying curriculum too quickly typically results in overbuying and unused books.
- If you really need to get started today, make a trip to your local library. Find a book or two on a topic in each subject.
Here are some suggestions for books and DVDs:
- Literature: find a classic or two, or reading books for the younger child.
- Science (topical books, hands-on science activities, history of science, biographies of famous scientists, and don’t forget science DVDs)
- History (non-fiction, biography, historical fiction, history DVDs)
- Math (yes, there are some fun educational math reading books out there)
- While you are at the library, check out a book for yourself about homeschooling, if available.
- Assign readings to your children while you spend time choosing homeschool curriculum for each child.
- Check out the homeschool law of your state to find the legal requirements.
- Look for a local homeschool support with an internet search to help you find a homeschool support group in your area.
Most veteran homeschoolers are happy to help newbies!
- Complete Homeschool Curriculum–if you are looking for a complete program with lots of parent help.
Hope this helps!
BJU Press Curriculum