Study PA History Using the Literature Approach
The Pennslyvania Keystones state history course meets all legal requirements for teaching Pennsylvania state history.[Read more…]
Features of PA Keystones by Susan Kemmerer
- Introduce your student(s) to great, godly men from Pennsylvania’s history.
- God’s providence is evident all through the history of this great story.
- True stories will encourage your student in his/her Christian faith as well as challenge him in his walk with God.
- Your student(s) will do map studies, timelines, nature studies, and creative writing,
- Creating a keepsake notebook will introduce your student(s) to the government, geography, industry, and agriculture, flora and fauna of Pennsylvania.
- Flexible enough to use with one or more students.
- Use as a full year history/literature course or a weekly supplement to your current studies.
- You will also need certain required books in addition to this set.
- The extra books (to be purchased separately or borrowed from your local library) include the following.
- The Sign of the Beaver
- The Cabin Faced West
- Skippack School
- Henner’s Lydia
- Spy for the Night Rider (Out of print, but we have a few copies available.)
- The Light in the Forest (Check your local library or bookstore.)
- Indian Drums and Broken Arrow (Out of print, try interlibrary loan)
- Christmas Surprise (Out of print, try interlibrary loan)
- Grades 3-7th
Pennsylvania Keystones Set
The Pennsylvania Keystones Set includes one Student Text, one Teacher Key, and one Activity Pack.
- Indian Drums and Christmas Surprise are out of print at this time.
- If you plan to use the library, Indian Drums and Broken Arrows and The Christmas Surprise are usually difficult to find.
- Henner’s Lydia and Skippack School are back in print!
Grades 3 to 7th
Pennsylvania Keystones Student Text
The Pennsylvania Keystones Student Text can be read aloud to your children or alone by the student.
- Each unit is based on the biographical sketch of a historical figure.
- For each story, there is a comprehension page and activity to enhance learning.
- The four units are
- Native Pennsylvanians (5 lessons)
- William Penn (15 lessons)
- John Heckewelder (7 lessons)
- Benjamin West (8 lessons)
Pennsylvania Keystones Student Activity Pack
The Pennsylvania Keystones Student Activity Pack has some great hands-on activities.
- Your student will do map studies, timelines, nature studies, and creative writing activities.
- Scissors, glue, crayons or colored pencils, and a Bible are required for the activities.
- It is printed on loose-leaf 3-hole-punched paper for easy placement in the student’s keepsake notebook.
- The pack is reproducible for family use.
- If you plan to use this in a homeschool co-op or small classroom, each family needs to purchase a Student Activity Pack.
- Buy an additional copy for each child if you don’t care to make “lotsa” copies!
Pennsylvania Keystones Teacher Manual Answer Key
The Teacher’s Manual and Answer Key is for the Pennsylvania Keystones state history study.
- It has the lesson plans, book list, and answer key for the Student Activity Pack.
Skippack School tells a treasured tale about a boy and the praying pioneer schoolmaster, Christopher Dock, the first in America to write a book on pedagogy.
Henner’s Lydia is the story of a young Amish girl who lives on a farm near Lancaster. Lydia must finish her first “piece,” a small hooked mat, before she can go to market with her father.
The Sign of the Beaver
Left alone to guard their newly built cabin, young Matt meets a new friend and learns new ways to survive in the forest. The Sign of the Beaver is used in several different courses.
Cabin Faced West
The Cabin Faced West is the story of a frontier girl in Pennsylvania. It is used in weeks 10 and 11 fo the Pennsylvania Keystones course.
Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin
Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin
This lovely book has been republished at last by Bradford Press. I love using Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin for Pennsylvania history when my children are in second grade! Makes a great extra book for Pennsylvania Keystones!
Out of Print Titles for Pennsylvania History Study
Perhaps you can use the information below to find the books at your local library or a used bookstore.
Indian Drums and Broken Arrow
During the Revolutionary War, Jeff Lockwood sets out to find out if his father defected to the redcoats. Suspense, conflict, and espionage. Out of Print Out of Stock
The Christmas Surprise
When Indians burn her home, kill her parents, and take her young brother captive, Kate has no one to turn to but Uncle Josh. Out of Print Out of Stock