Solutions for Teaching High School Mathematics at Home
Is teaching homeschool high school math a problem for you?
By Harriet Yoder (homeschool mother and co-owner of Lamp Post Homeschool)
Many homeschool parents have concerns about teaching upper-level math at home. Sometimes it is the deciding factor in continuing to homeschool in high school.
Don’t give up homeschooling because math is a difficult subject for you. There are several ways to be successful at teaching homeschool high school math.
Hire a Tutor
- Hire a tutor to help the ones who need help. It can be a teacher, college student, or another mathematically-inclined homeschool parent.
- This has to be cheaper than private schooling!
- If funding is a problem, then check with friends and family. Maybe you can find a volunteer who would donate time and talent to help your student.
- Or trade tutoring with another parent who needs help with a subject that is your gifting.
Homeschool Co-op Classes
- Find or start a homeschool co-op that offers a math course.
Take Math Class at a Christian or Private School
- Your local Christian school might let your students take their math class.
Take Math Class at a Public School
In Pennsylvania the public schools allow homeschoolers to take one or two classes.
- It’s been helpful in certain situations.
- Math is a course that doesn’t usually get into controversial issues.
- Older students are usually more mature and will resist peer pressure.
Some companies have instruction via DVDs or distance learning.
- Saxon Teacher Digital has instruction for every lesson for Saxon Homeschool Math for Grades 5 through high school.
- Jacobs Geometry and Elementary Instruction DVDs
Changing Your Math Curriculum Might Solve the Problem
If the math program you chose isn’t working, it might be time for a change.
- Include your teen in the selection process.
- Taking ownership of the new math course is a great motivator.
- These are our favorites from Lamp Post Homeschool:
Homeschool Math Curriculum
Hope this helps you to keep on homeschooling!
Envision High School Math
Algebra 1 & 2 and Geometry
Saxon Math K-12
BJU Press Math