Choose the Best Method for Your Music Students—3 Different Versions
We have three choices for learning the Essentials of Music Theory depending on your learning style—for ages 10 and up. [Read more…]
- Traditional book version with a teacher’s answer key, student books, and Ear Training? Go with Essentials of Music Theory Complete Bundle.
The bundle is the best buy if you have more than one student. You can purchase a Student Book for each additional student.
- Work independently on the computer? Get the Essentials Of Music Theory Software.
- Independent self-study? Choose the Essentials of Music Theory Complete Self Study Course.
This choice works best if you have only one student who wants to use the book method.
- Reproducible tests are available to evaluate your student’s music theory skills: 60 Music Quizzes
Why Take Music Theory in High School?
For college-bound music majors, it is better to take it during high school.
- Music majors are typically required to take music theory as part of the degree requirement.
- If you haven’t taken music theory and can’t pass the pre-test, you may be required to take a basic/remedial course.
- These add to college expenses and may not count for credit.
- Not having studied music theory could put you a semester behind because it is a prerequisite for other music courses.
Essentials of Music Theory Complete Self-Study Course (with 2 Ear Training CDs)
The Essentials of Music Theory Complete Self Study Course is for the older student who is capable of independent study.
Our son completed this course on his own and used the ear training CDs. His love of music was a real motivation for doing the music theory independently.
- It is divided into three sections called books.
- Each “book” has twenty-five lessons for a total of seventy-five lessons in all.
- The answers are located at the back of the book and presented as reduced size pages with filled-in answers. The student can check answers on his own.
- The Essentials of Music Theory Complete Self Study Course works best if you have only one student who will use this course as the book is consumable.
- View a sample and listen to ear training samples at the publisher’s website.
Essentials of Music Theory Complete Bundle
The Essentials of Music Theory Complete Bundle, an all-in-one course, is ideal for homeschoolers from early beginners to advanced students. It has concise lessons with short exercises, ear-training activities and review pages. No prior musical experience is required.
- Book 1 has lessons on the music basics such as the staff, notes, treble clef, staff, ledger lines, various time signatures, rests, dynamic signs, flats, sharps, naturals, etc.
- Lessons in Book 2 include tetrachords, major scales, flat scales, sharp scales, key signatures, chromatic scale, intervals, circle of fifths, more time signatures, triads, etc.
- In Essentials of Theory Book 3, topics include triads, minor scales, chord progressions, modes, harmonizing, broken chords, composing a melody, blues scale, motive, phrase, etc.
The Essentials of Music Theory Complete Bundle includes one of each of the following:
- Essentials of Music Theory Student Books 1-3 (9780882848976)
- Essentials of Music Teacher’s Answer Key and Essentials of Music Theory – Ear Training CDs 1 and 2 Combined for Books 1-3 (9780882849508)
NOTE This is the best option for Families or Teachers of Multiple Students.
- The Teacher AK has the student pages printed in full size with answers in a different font.
- You can purchase Student Books for each additional student.
- Students can work independently if desired.
- The lessons are the same as those in the self-study book without printed answers in the back.
- The ear training CDs will need to be shared.
Teacher’s AK and CDs
Essentials of Music Theory Teacher’s Answer Key and Ear Training CDs 1 and 2 Combined (for Books 1-3)
This one Teacher’s Answer Key for Books 1-3 with the Ear Training CDs 1 and 2. These have answers and ear training for all three books.
Student Books 1-3
Essentials of Music Theory Complete Student Books 1-3
Purchase one set of Essentials of Music Theory Student Books 1-3 for each additional student. One student book 1-3 comes with the bundle.
- View sample pages at the publisher’s website.
Alfred’s Essentials of Music Theory Software, Version 3 – CD-ROM Complete Student Version
This program is the new and updated software version 3 of Alfred’s Essentials of Music Theory Software, Version 3 Complete Volume.
The Student Version is intended for use by one user at a time when you do not need to track the progress of other users. It is PC/Mac compatible.
Features of the software include narration and animation of music theory concepts through lessons, exercises, games, tests and eat training with recordings of a variety of acoustic instruments. There are randomized exercises, ear training and graded reviews for each unit. The glossary had musical terms and symbols with written definitions, pronunciations, and visual/aural examples.
All three volumes are included in the Essentials of Music Theory Software Complete. Topics included are:
Volume 1 (Lessons 1-25):
- Treble & Bass Clefs
- 4/4, 3/4 & 2/4 Time Signatures
- Flats, Sharps & Naturals
- Whole & Half Steps
- Dynamic Signs, Temp Markings & Articulation
- Up to Eighth Notes & Rests
Volume 2 (Lessons 25-50):
- Major Scales
- Key Signatures
- Circle of Fifths
- Intervals3/8 & 6/8 Time Signatures
- Triads & V7 Chords
Volume 3 (Lessons 51-75):
- 1st & 2nd Inversions of Triads
- Figured Bass
- Chord Progressions
- Minor Scales & Triads
- Harmonizing & Composing Melodies
- 12-Bar Blues Chord Progression & Blues Scale
- Basic Forms of Music
- Windows 7, Vista, XP – Intel Pentium 3 1GHz or faster
- Macintosh OS.4 – Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz or Power PC (G4 1GHz or faster)
- 400MB hard drive space, 512MB RAM
- Speakers or headphones
Ages 8 to adult