Learn Pre-Cursive and Cursive Handwriting with Bob Jones Handwriting Subject Kits
- This helps your student’s transition to cursive penmanship much easier.
- The BJU Press Handwriting 1 Student Worktext is one of our favorites as a first homeschool penmanship book.
BJU Press Handwriting Grades 1-6
Grade 1 Kit
Handwriting Kit 1
Handwriting Kit 1 (Teacher’s Edition and Student Worktext)
Here’s another one of our favorites! The new third edition of the Bob Jones Handwriting 1 Student Worktext has made a remarkably homeschool-friendly introductory penmanship course. Though it lists for grade 1, use this consumable workbook with any child who needs to learn to print neatly and isn’t ready for cursive.
The Bob Jones Handwriting Kit 1 includes one of each of the following items:
- Teacher’s Guide for Handwriting 1 (#211714 ISBN-13: 9781591662846)
- Student Worktext for Handwriting 1 (#296772 ISBN-13: 9781591662839)
- BJU Press has their own pre-cursive style which keeps the student’s pencil on the paper (unlike the “ball and stick” method) It is a bit slanted, and has a more natural curve to the letters. For example, when you end the a, there is a little curve at the end instead of the straight stick look.
- The workbook has 330 pages and consists of 165 two-page lessons. Once again, like their new kindergarten math, the page layout and the graphics are done well. There is enough practice on each page to be beneficial without giving your student blisters on the fingers.
- This is the type of curriculum we love because it is economical and easy for the busy homeschool mom (or dad!) to use. In the homeschool setting with one on one instant feedback and reinforcement, you could really use this as your manuscript printing curriculum and then move on to cursive–especially with the late bloomers.
- See Thoughts on Teaching Handwriting for more information about teaching penmanship to the homeschooled child.