Learn Pre-Cursive and Cursive Handwriting with Bob Jones Handwriting Subject Kits
- This helps your student’s transition to cursive penmanship much easier.
- The BJU Press Handwriting 1 Student Worktext is one of our favorites as a first homeschool penmanship book.
BJU Press Handwriting Grades 1-6
Handwriting Kit 1 (Teacher’s Edition and Student Worktext)
Here’s another one of our favorites! The new third edition of the Bob Jones Handwriting 1 Student Worktext has made a remarkably homeschool-friendly introductory penmanship course. Though it lists for grade 1, use this consumable workbook with any child who needs to learn to print neatly and isn’t ready for cursive.
The Bob Jones Handwriting Kit 1 includes one of each of the following items:
- Teacher’s Guide for Handwriting 1 (#211714 ISBN-13: 9781591662846)
- Student Worktext for Handwriting 1 (#296772 ISBN-13: 9781591662839)
- BJU Press has their own pre-cursive style which keeps the student’s pencil on the paper (unlike the “ball and stick” method) It is a bit slanted, and has a more natural curve to the letters. For example, when you end the a, there is a little curve at the end instead of the straight stick look.
- The workbook has 330 pages and consists of 165 two-page lessons. Once again, like their new kindergarten math, the page layout and the graphics are done well. There is enough practice on each page to be beneficial without giving your student blisters on the fingers.
- This is the type of curriculum we love because it is economical and easy for the busy homeschool mom (or dad!) to use. In the homeschool setting with one on one instant feedback and reinforcement, you could really use this as your manuscript printing curriculum and then move on to cursive–especially with the late bloomers.
- See Thoughts on Teaching Handwriting for more information about teaching penmanship to the homeschooled child.
Handwriting Kit 2 (Teacher’s Edition and Student Worktext)
“BJU Press Handwriting 2 reviews the Pre-Cursive letters and presents an easy transition to cursive writing by simply adding a stroke to the letter.”
The Bob Jones Handwriting Kit 2 includes one of each of the following items:
- Teacher’s Guide for Handwriting 2 (#115188 ISBN-13: 9781579241056)
- Student Worktext for Handwriting 2 (#268573 ISBN-13: 9781591669968)
Teaches both the precursive and cursive alphabet. Consumable.
Handwriting Kit 3 (Teacher’s Edition and Student Worktext)
“BJU Press Handwriting 3 provides cursive models and practice activities for continued excellence in penmanship. Students learn details about punctuation, margins, and spacing.”
The BJU Press Handwriting Kit 3 includes one of each of the following items:
- Teacher’s Guide for Handwriting 3 (#117960 ISBN-13: 9781579247331)
- Student Worktext for Handwriting 3 (#268581 ISBN-13: 9781591669975)
Writing practice with cursive penmanship includes poems, paragraphs, Bible verses, and writing compositions. Consumable
Handwriting Kit 4 (Teacher’s Edition and Student Worktext) 2nd Ed.
BJU Press Handwriting 4 “helps students maintain and refine their penmanship skills by writing paragraphs, outlines, journal entries, and hymns.”
The BJU Press Handwriting Kit 4 includes one of each of the following items:
- Teacher’s Guide for Handwriting 4 (#122382 ISBN-13: 9781579243326)
- Student Worktext for Handwriting 4 (#268599 ISBN-13: 9781591669982)
Using cursive penmanship, your student will practice cursive with ink pens in a variety of writing activities. Consumable
BJU Press Handwriting Kit 5 (Teacher’s Edition and Student Worktext)
In BJU Press Handwriting 5 “emphasis is placed on refining and maintaining good penmanship skills. Students gain practical writing experience in each lesson as they review letter formation.”
The Bob Jones Handwriting Kit 5 includes one of each of the following items:
- Teacher’s Guide for Handwriting 5 (#122416 ISBN-13: 9781579243548)
- Student Worktext for Handwriting 5 (#271411 ISBN-13: 9781606820674)
With the Bob Jones Handwriting 5 Student Worktext, your student will continue to improve handwriting skills while learning about other cultures and languages. Consumable
Handwriting Kit 6 (Teacher’s Edition and Student Worktext)
BJU Press Handwriting 6 “provides edifying penmanship experiences to encourage legible, attractive, written communication in all walks of life.”
The Bob Jones Handwriting Kit 6 includes one of each of the following items:
- Teacher’s Guide for Handwriting 6 (#122424 ISBN-13: 9781579243906)
- Student Worktext for Handwriting 6 (#271429 ISBN-13: 9781606820681)
With the Bob Jones Handwriting 6 Student Worktext, your student will continue to improve handwriting skills while learning about different professions and the Chancery style of calligraphy. Consumable
- Calligraphy Pen-Chisel-point pen needed for the calligraphy lessons.