Homeschool-Friendly Phonics-based Workbooks
- Use Explode the Code Workbooks 1 and 2, 2nd Edition to supplement any reading program.
- Use after completing Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code Workbooks.
- For more practice and review, the ½ level workbooks are available.
- The Teacher’s Guide 1-2 has lesson plans and teaching suggestions.
- Explode the Code Phonics Workbooks align to the Common Core State Standards. (According to the publisher’s website)
- We think they are a great option for homeschool beginning readers.
- Work on phonics daily.
- If your student seems frustrated, break up the lesson into two or three short sessions in one day.
- If you aren’t sure where to place your student, there is a Placement Test.
- Or if you know which sounds the student needs to learn, then you can look at the consonants, vowels, and blends covered in each book to choose the best level.
- Choose the easier level if the results are close. Success breeds success. When a student is struggling with a subject, there is nothing like doing something you’re very good at. With this program, it is also a good way to learn how the workbooks are formatted and get used to it.
- Use Coupon Code CLEARANCE to save on clearance items!
Explode the Code Workbook 1, 2nd Edition
Book 1 of the Explode the Code Phonics Workbooks covers short vowels for the beginning reader who knows the consonant sounds*.
- It includes some handwriting instruction for the letters introduced in this book.
- This is very handy because you can give immediate feedback to your student as answers are written.
- *There is also lots of practice with the consonant sounds.
- Activities focus on blending which is sometimes hard for beginning readers to grasp.
Explode the Code Workbook 2, 2nd Edition
Explode the Code 2 covers Initial and final consonant blends.
There is more practice with using short vowels and with blending.
Teacher’s Guide 1-2
Explode the Code 1-2 Teacher Guide, 2nd Edition
The Explode the Code 1-2 Teacher’s Guide will be very helpful if you haven’t taught reading or phonics before or if you need extra teaching help for different learning needs and styles.
The Teacher’s Guide for Books 1 & 2 has the following features:
- Options for instruction and reinforcement of each lesson
- Each lesson plan uses the same easy format:
- Quick Review of the previous concepts
- Phonological/Phonemic Awareness instruction to help students with the sounds in spoken words. Activities in Books 1-2 focus on blending.
- Phonics to learn the sound-symbol relationship
- Vocabulary-learn new words and identify sight words
- Completing Student Pages directions for the workbook pages
- Comprehension -activities to build comprehension
- Fluency reading practice to work on pronunciation, intonation, and speed
- Writing practice
- Differentiating Instruction suggestions to help with different learning styles and needs
- Key answers to the posttests for Books 1, 1½, 2, and 2½
Explode the Code Cards
The Code Cards has word pictures and letters for Books 1 to 3, including the 1/2 levels, are index card size in black and white.
More Reading Curriculum at Lamp Post Homeschool
Explode the Code® is a registered trademark of EPS School Specialty.