From Alfred Publishing Features Great Composers—Suited to Homeschooling
The various music history kits for studying the great composers can accompany your history studies.
- The Meet the Great Composers Series is for students in grades 3 to 9. There are two kits that cover famous composers from the Baroque period to the 20th century. Each kit includes a book, a listening CD, and reproducible activity sheets. Grades 3 to 9.
- For serious upper-level music students, you’ll want Accent on the Composers. It covers the lives and music of 22 great composers from six eras of music from medieval to the twentieth century. (Age 11 to Adult)
On this page:
- In Stories of the Great Composers, you will study 12 composers and their music. Grades K to 6.
- Stories of the Great Hymns includes information about who wrote the hymns, why it was written, and a simplified piano arrangement for each hymn in the text. Upper Elementary to Intermediate.
- Ten famous Christmas Carols are studied in Stories of the Great Christmas Carols. Learn the stories behind O Holy Night, The First Noel, and more for the upper elementary to early intermediate grades.
- In addition to their music history curriculum, we also carry music theory curriculum from Alfred’s.
Stories of the Great Composers Book 1 and Compact Disc
“Stories of the Great Composers is designed to give elementary students a glimpse into the composer’s life, character and music.
- There are 12 composer units in this book. Each unit is designed to be completed in a 15-20 minute session.
- A compact disc recording of the suggested listening is included.”
- Each unit in Stories of the Great Composers contains:
- A picture of the composer with a short biography.
- An imaginary story based on fact about an event in the composer’s life, family or music.
- A list of three important compositions by the composer, as well as a short description of the compositions.
- A question and answer page for review in the form of a puzzle or matching game.
- Samples from Stories of the Great Composers
Stories of the Great Composers is recommended for Grades K through 6
Stories of the Great Hymns
Learn the story behind great hymns.
- Recommended for upper elementary and early intermediate.
- In Stories of the Great Hymns there is “information on the men and women who wrote the text and the music, a story about the creation of the hymn, a simplified piano arrangement (at the late elementary to early intermediate level), and a fun activity page that reviews the information presented in the unit.”
- Titles include:
- Amazing Grace
- Brighten the Corner
- Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
- God Will Take Care of You
- Holy, Holy, Holy
- Jesus Loves Even Me
- Jesus Loves Me
- Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee
- Take My Life and Let It Be
- This is My Father’s World
- Trust and Obey
- See sample pages at the publisher’s website
Recommended for upper elementary and early intermediate.
Stories of the Great Christmas Carols
Learn the story behind great Christmas Carols.
- For each carol there is information on the authors who wrote the text and music; the story about the creation of the carol; a simplified arrangement of the carol with text; and a fun activity page that reviews the information presented in the unit.
- Scripture quotations are taken from the King James Version of the Bible (1611).
- The carols included in Stories of the Great Christmas Carols are:
- Away in a Manger
- Angels from the Realms of Glory
- O Come, All Ye Faithful
- Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming
- Silent Night
- While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks
- The First Noel
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- What Child is This?
- O Holy Night
- Sample Pages from Stories of the Great Christmas Carols
Recommended for late elementary and early intermediate grades.