Affordable Homeschool-Friendly Phonics Workbooks
- Explode the Code 7-8 Workbooks will supplement any reading program.
- Use after completing Level 6.
- Levels 7 and 8 have reading comprehension exercises.
- The Teacher’s Guide 7-8 has lesson plans, teaching suggestions, and answers to the exercises and posttests.
- Explode the Code Phonics Workbooks align to the Common Core State Standards. (According to the publisher’s website)
- We think they are a great option for homeschool beginning readers.
- Work on phonics daily.
- If your student seems frustrated, break up the lesson into two or three short sessions in one day.
Explode the Code 7 Workbook, 2nd Edition
Explode the Code 7 Workbook covers soft c and g; ear; words with ei and eigh; silent letters –dge, –mb, kn-, wr-, silent t, silent h, and ph.
- Once your child has passed Books 5 and 6, the reading gets easier.
- At least that’s the way it was for our children who used the Explode the Code series.
- The 6 youngest children used them with great success.
- Workbook 7 adds crossword puzzles and some reading comprehension paragraphs to the activities.
Explode the Code 8 Workbook, 2nd Edition
Explode the Code 8 Workbook covers common suffixes and endings such as –ness, –less, –ous, –or, –ist, –ity, –ture, –ment, –able, –ible, –sion, –tion, –ance, –ence, –tive, –sive, –ity, –ize, –ti-, and –ci-.
- Book 8 has a comprehension reading and activity in every lesson.
- Even though the child may be able to do most of the exercises in Book 8 with less help than the previous books, it still helps to stay one-on-one as he does the work.
Explode the Code 7-8 Teacher Guide, 2nd Edition
The Explode the Code 7-8 Teacher’s Guide is very helpful:
- If you haven’t taught reading or phonics before
- If you need extra teaching help for different learning needs and styles
- If you want the answers to the student workbook exercises and the posttests
The Teacher’s Guide for Books 7 & 8 has the following features:
- Options for instruction and reinforcement of each lesson
- Each lesson plan uses the same easy format:
- Quick Review of the previous concepts
- Phonological/Phonemic Awareness instruction to help students with the sounds in spoken words. In Book 4 your student will also identify syllables in words.
- Phonics to learn the sound-symbol relationship
- Vocabulary learn new words and identify sight words
- Completing Student Pages directions for the workbook pages
- Comprehension activities to build comprehension
- Fluency reading practice to work on pronunciation, intonation, and speed
- Writing writing practice
- Differentiating Instruction suggestions to help with different learning styles and needs
- Key answers to Student Book Exercises and posttests for Books 7 and 8