Presents US History from the Perspective of Faith in God and Respect for His Word
Combine United States History, American Literature, and Bible in a one-year high school course—Or choose to do the history only option. Exploring America is a Christian-based American history course.
Notgrass Exploring America Set
- Combine United States History, American Literature, and Bible in a one-year high school course—Or choose the history only option.
- Earn one credit in American history, one credit in English, and one credit in Bible—If you choose to do all three components.
- Organized in an easy to follow manner with 30 weekly units of five lessons each.
- Study American history from the time of Columbus through the present.
- The page layout has full-color photographs and illustrations and a hardcover binding.
- Some changes to Unit 30 to cover events up to the date of publication.
- The Student Review Pack replaces the old Quiz & Exam Pack and includes literary analysis activities.
- Includes Bible study with your family Bible choice.
- Exploring America is a Christian-based American history course.
Exploring America is a one-year high school course that combines United States History, American Literature, and Bible. Organized in an easy to follow manner with 30 weekly units of five lessons each, you will cover American history from the time of Columbus through the present.
It is workable that you could use this course for history alone. The Unit Tests are separate for history, English and Bible as are the questions for the lessons, the American Voice readings, and the literature readings. I wonder why, though, because the reading choices are much more interesting than a typical American Literature course. The course has a very homeschool friendly manner. The Bible lessons I checked are interesting and relevant to each unit. Three courses for the price of one is a great deal.
- Completing the History credit requires reading the lessons and the original documents and speeches (and answering the questions in the optional Quiz & Exam Pack if desired).
- Completing the English credit requires completing the weekly writing assignments and one research paper; and reading the assigned literature, poems, and short stories in American Voices.
- Completing the Bible credit requires reading the Bible lessons, completing the Bible assignments at the end of many lessons, and reading the hymns and other religious literature assigned.
The Notgrass Company Exploring America Set includes one of each of the following books.
- Exploring America Volume 1: Columbus through Reconstruction for the First Semester 9781609990664
- Exploring America Volume 2: Late 1800s through the present Second Semester 9781609990671
- American Voices: Original Documents, Speeches, Poems, Storied, and Hymns from American History Contains necessary assigned readings 9781609990688
- Guide for Parents Using Exploring America.
A short guide for parents
Additional Books Required for the Course (Not Included in the Package)
You will need additional books for the literature portion of the course. Most should be available at your public library or local bookstore. Alternate book suggestions can replace some books that are not easily found.
NOTE: The lessons do not assign specific page numbers for reading the books. You don’t have to use particular editions,
Literature for Volume 1 First Semester
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Narrative of the Life of David Crockett by David Crockett
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Co. Aytch by Sam R. Watkins
- Humorous Stories and Sketches by Mark Twain
Literature for Volume 2 Second Semester
- In His Steps by Charles Sheldon
- Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington
- Mama’s Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes
- Miracle in the Hills by Mary T. Martin Sloop and LeGette Blythe
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
Preview sample pages:
- Sample of Exploring America, Part 1
- Sample of Exploring America, Part 2
- See Table of Contents for American Voices
Free Downloads Available at the publisher’s website (Opens in a new tab.)
You can download and print these PDF files for use within your family.
- Assignment Checklist
- Grading Chart
- Literary Analysis (included in the Student Review)
- Project Ideas
- Answer Key
- Guide for Parents (includes alternate literature suggestions)
- Comparison of America the Beautiful and Exploring America
Grades 9-12, One year course covers American History, English (American Literature and Composition), and Bible.
Exploring America Set With Student Review Pack
The Exploring America History Kit with the Student Review Pack includes one of each of the following items:.
Exploring America History Set 9781609990695
See product description above.
Student Review Pack 9781609990701
Includes one of each of the following items:
- Student Review Book
Contains lesson review questions, literature review questions, and literary analysis.
- Quiz and Exam Book
Has weekly quizzes and six exams that can be removed from the book and given to the student individually if desired.
- Answer Key
Includes all the answers for the parent to use for grading.
Preview pages from the Student Review, the Quiz, and Exam Book, and the Answer Key:
Miracle in the Hills
Miracle in the Hills is the inspiring autobiography of Dr. Mary Sloop, a woman doctor, and her forty-year crusade in the mountains of North Carolina and the history of The Crossnore School which she helped to found.