Homeschool-friendly Phonics Workbooks
- Supplement any reading program with Explode the Code 5-6 Workbooks.
- Use after completing Level 4
- Some students may take longer to complete books 5 and 6.
- Be sure they master the sounds and skills before moving on.
- For more practice and review, the ½ level workbooks are available.
- The Teacher’s Guide 5-6 has lesson plans and teaching suggestions.
- Explode the Code Phonics Workbooks align to the Common Core State Standards. (According to the publisher’s website)
- We think they are a great option for homeschool beginning readers.
- Practice phonics every day.
- If your student seems frustrated, break up the lesson into two or three short sessions in one day.
Explode the Code Workbook 5, 2nd Edition
Explode the Code 5 Workbook covers the word endings –ed and –ey; word families all-alk, old-olt-oll, ild-ink; 3-letter blends scr-, shr-, spl– spr-, str-, thr-,; and qu words.
- The more difficult blends can take longer to master.
- Spend more time on this level if your student needs it—It’s worth the extra effort.
- The Teacher’s Guide 5-6 has teaching suggestions that can help.
Explode the Code Workbook 6, 2nd Edition
Explode the Code Workbook 6 covers r-controlled vowels such as ar, or, er, ir, ut, war, and wor; silent letters igh; and vowel diphthongs oo, ea, ie, oi, oy, ow, au, aw, ew, ui, ue.
- The more difficult diphthongs can take longer to master.
- It’s worth spending more time on level 6 when your student needs it.
- The Teacher’s Guide 5-6 includes teaching suggestions that can help.
Explode the Code 5-6 Teacher Guide, Second Edition
The Explode the Code 5-6 Teacher’s Guide is helpful:
- If you haven’t taught reading or phonics before
- If you need extra teaching help for different learning needs and styles
- If your student is slowing down in levels 5 and 6 and you need some teaching help
The Teacher’s Guide for Books 5 & 6 has the following features:
- Options for instruction and reinforcement of each lesson
- Each lesson plan has a standard, easy-to-use format:
- Quick Review of the previous concepts
- Phonological/Phonemic Awareness instruction to help students with the sounds in spoken words. In Book 4 your student will also identify syllables in words.
- Phonics Learn the sound-symbol relationship
- Vocabulary Learn new words and identify sight words
- Completing Student Pages has directions for the workbook pages
- Comprehension Activities to build comprehension
- Fluency Reading practice to work on pronunciation, intonation, and speed
- Writing practice
- Differentiating Instruction Suggestions to help with different learning styles and needs
- Key answers to the posttests for Books 5, 5½, 6, and 6½
Explode the Code® is a registered trademark of EPS School Specialty.