Learn About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Collections 11 Homeschool Package
- Develop abilities to analyze complex texts, determine evidence, reason critically, and communicate thoughtfully.
- Learn skills to prepare for college and career.
- Get state-of-the-art features with a digital and print approach.
- Study six topically-related collections—similar to units—for each grade level.
- Each theme-based collection features different multi-genre readings.
- Provides a basis for instruction of rigorous standards.
- Selections include poetry, short story, and non-fiction—Tied together by a common theme.
- Apply analysis and draw conclusions from the text.
- The Homeschool Package includes the Student Text, the Online Close Reader (1-year subscription), and the Online Teacher Edition (1-year subscription).
- Online Teacher Dashboard
- Group resources by standard, topic, genre, or Lexile® score.
- Utilize progress monitoring, prescriptive remediation, tools for online feedback, and selection/collection assessments
- Online Resources
- HISTORY, A&E, and bio Videos to enrich studies
- Writing, Speaking/Listening, and Research
- FYI Site provides topically related texts reflecting today’s headlines to connect your child to their world.
Secular-Based Language Arts for Grade 11
Apparently “close reading” is the big thing in language arts. It took me a while to figure this out—until I read “A Close Look at Close Reading” by Beth Burke, NBCT. Basically, it’s what I did in my Advanced English class back in high school circa 1969. To quote the old saying, there’s nothing new under the sun. #Recycled #Renamed It reminds me of changing borrowing and carrying to regrouping in math. In any case, it’s a key requirement of the Common Core Standards.
Collections Grade 11
Collections Homeschool Package for Eleventh Grade
The Collections Homeschool Package for Grade 11 includes the following components.
- Is a collection of multi-genre texts
- Stimulates careful re-reading, critical thinking, animated discussions, and analytical writing.
- Opportunities for discussion, writing and making thematic connections to other texts in the collection—Provided additional pieces such as essays, speeches, photo essays, poems, media clips.
- Has specific instruction in concepts needed to understand and analyze texts.
Online Close Reader
- Apply and practice the analysis skills from the lesson on a related selection in the Online Close Reader.
- Practice close reading of challenging texts to provide concrete modeling and hands-on application of text analysis skills.
- Directs the homeschool student to re-examine parts of the text and teach them how to draw conclusions supported by evidence with the use of consistent prompts of ‘Read’ and ‘Reread’.
Online Teacher Edition
- Helps you to guide your student—especially those who need modeling and support—through a careful, close reading of the anchor text.
- Find critical background information about the anchor text including:
- Why This Text was selected.
- Text Complexity Rubric to help identify the dimensions of each complex text.
- Find specific ideas for extra support to read and comprehend the texts.
- Use Strategies for Annotation for guided or independent analysis or for quick formative assessments of progress with analysis skills.
- Includes specific ideas for increasing student’s use of and practice with the Academic Vocabulary for each collection—To support critical preparation for college and career readiness.
NOTE: This is a print and digital homeschool kit. The digital components are for a 1-year online subscription. You will receive your digital access from [email protected]