A Literature-based Unit Study for Upper Elementary Grades
Study American history in the late 1800’s, science, health, nutrition, literature, daily writing, geography, Bible, character building, daily living application, & more based on the Little House on the Prairie.
The Prairie Primer: A Literature-Based Unit Study Utilizing the “Little House” Series
With The Prairie Primer Unit Study your student will:
- Learn 1800’s American History
- Do Pioneer crafts, cooking, and music,
- Explore science and nature studies,
- Improve writing,
- Apply Scripture and increase character,
- Discover health and nutrition practices,
- Increase reading comprehension.
- This complete one-year curriculum utilizes library resources.
- The Weekly Planning Guide in the Prairie Primer highlights the resources and materials to be gathered and allows the parent/teacher to be prepared to seize the moment relating to the current study.
- Download Free Sample Pages (Opens in a new tab at the publisher’s website)
Additional Books and Resources for The Prairie Primer
You will need separate math and handwriting courses.
- For math, Ray’s Arithmetic is recommended.
- Spencerian Penmanship is the suggested handwriting curriculum for the Prairie Primer.
Many books are used in the Prairie Primer unit study. The most frequently used resources, available at Lamp Post Homeschool, are listed below.
Hard to find books include:
- Uncommon Courtesy for Kids by Gregg and Josh Harris
- The Original 21 Rules of This House by Gregg and Josh Harris
The Little House Cookbook
Cook recipes from the Little House series with The Little House Cookbook.